Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Blogger on Blogging

You know what?  In the middle of the night, in that odd awake/asleep state, I think of the most amazing topics for this here little blog.  But then I wake up, and "poof" it is gone!  I can usually manage to hang on to it for the first few wake cycles, but that is about it.  Clearly my subconscious is much more intelligent, interesting and thoughtful than my conscious.  Although, Brother got me thinking with his blog--recently started after my constant urging.  What an odd phenomenon is the blog world.  Who are we to think that we have anything to say that anyone would want to hear?  Most of the time, I doubt that my own family (i.e. those obligated by blood or marriage to at least pretend to be interested) particularly cares what I have to rant or ramble about.  Are we truly a narcissistic society, so caught up in our own opinions and postulations as to believe that others would want to read them, to the tune of thousands of bloggers, publishing thousands upon thousands of posts each week? Clearly, yes, we are.  BUT truth be told...I love it!  I have always loved discussing, debating, deliberating, conversing, examining, exploring, analyzing and connecting with people.  This is a new medium that is all. For decades, Americans have tuned in to watch the daily goings-on of strangers that became friends, and families that became part of our own.  The thing is...they weren't real.  From the Cleavers to the Huxtables we adopted these synthetic kinsfolk into our own tribes.  We laughed, cried, and celebrated with Joey and Chandler, Jerry and George, Hawkeye and BJ (or Trapper-depending on how old you are), & Lorelai and Rory.  As a society, we connected through these communal television families. The people were not real, but the connections were.  Through blogging, we have both.  I love the sneak peek into the daily (even if mundane) lives of friends and family.  Do I think that it would be better for us to bind these ties face to face? Yes, but that is not the reality of the times we are living in.  I live 100's of miles from my "hometown".  Also true of my college home.  My friends and family are spread literally from border to border and from sea to shining sea. We have, however, this place to converge, to rally, to reunite, to associate, to mingle, to share, to connect and reconnect.  So, while there may not always be a lot to say, keep saying it.  This is what we talk about around the water cooler now.  Real people, real lives. Ordinary and humdrum at times.  Remarkable and Amazing at others.  Blogging is journalism, poetry, prose, expression, conversation, news and stories.  It is whatever you want it to be.  So, I say...Blog On!
Quote of the day: "A blog is merely a tool that lets you do anything from share your shopping list, to change the world."
--Unknown

1 comment:

  1. that shows you never really know people until you get to know Them! :-). I'm made friends I never would have thought would talk to me at first too, and you know what, sometimes they are the best friends!
    -Laura

    (findinginsanity.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete