Sunday, March 22, 2009

Buttons, Bobbles and Beads...Oh My! (#50)

Before we rushed out of doors--carried away by the miraculous spring thaw, I meant to blog a bit about the things we were doing to pass the last few weeks of winter.  That time when the snow has deteriorated to nothing more than slush, ice and piles of crusty, dirty, gnarled masses along the sidewalks and roads, and we are forced to seek the shelter of home and fire for a time.  I hate to sound like a boastful mama, but my kids are just amazing!  They dug out the paints, papers, puzzles and supplies.  The boxes of buttons, bobbles, beads and scraps saved for just such creative surges and went to work!  I was worried when Santa decided to bring a video game (Wii) into our house this last Christmas. But you know, they hardly touch the thing.  We have never had video games or fancy cable channels and have even had periods with no TV at all.  One would think children so deprived would flock around such a new-fangled device when there was nothing else to do.  But, I am proud to say that they did not.  I am grateful beyond measure for children who are 100 times more creative, imaginative, artistic and expressive than their parents.  Sometimes we wonder where these little geniuses came from.  Then we remember, oh ya, heaven!
Quote of the 
Day: "Every child is an artist.  The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." --Pablo Picasso grown-up and artist

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was anyone else out there without video games and cable! I thought we were the only ones. But this year Santa brought a wii. I too worried over it, but the kids don't use it very often and we have had some fun times with it as adults. Your kids sound great. Good for them for being so creative. What a gift that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspired me Leslie and so I started blogging. I only hope to be as clever and funny as your blog. Check me out @yogagirl35.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete