Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Ode To A Commode

I sing of thy porcelain and pipes...
Ok, sorry, that title was misleading. This will not be an ode, but the story really is about a toilet and I like rhyming. Last week I had my regular monthly "date" with a girlfriend.  A couple of us went to her house to visit, vent, validate and revitalize.  It's cheaper than therapy, and gives the toddlers a place to master the fine art of sharing, and moms a place to show off their carefully honed diversionary tactics! Skills that will certainly come in handy if we ever have to form our own militia. We had even a third objective in this gathering, however, and that was to see Brenda's new lavatory.  It is a beauty! With just a gentle touch of the lid, this incredible contraption closes slowly, steadily & silently all by its little self.  No, I am not kidding. There we stood, three grown women, encircled about the toilet, oohing and aahing as if it were a newborn.  I have had similar experiences over stainless steel refrigerators, wainscoting, a really good hair cut and tile flooring. I thought to myself, "Wow girls, we need to get out more!" but I said, "Oh ya, this is making my blog!" Real life, real women, real necessity and real pleasure at another's good fortune.  The fact of the matter is that the old toilet caused a great deal of unpleasantness in the daily life of this young mother.  As her friends we empathized in her plight and were happy to share in her delight at the hassle-free appliance. Bearing in sadness & sharing in gladness, isn't that what its all about?  And you thought it was the hokey-pokey.  Actually that will get you through some pretty tough times too!
Quote of the Day: "I get by with a little help from my friends."
--Lennon/McCartney 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for Brenda. Hee hee. It's nice to get new things for your house. I think when you are not dripping with money it makes you appreciate every little thing. I like that. When I read the first part of your blog..."A couple of us went to her house to visit, vent, validate and revitalize." I mind played a trick on me and I thought it said...visit, vent, vandalize...I put together validate and revitalize. Phew, I'm glad you are not out vandalizing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute post. It made me laugh. I would love to see a picture of this new toilet. Once when traveling we came across a self cleaning toilet in a gas station. Seriously. Each time you flushed it, the toilet seat rotated around while heavy streams of water and soap washed the bowl. My husband, my sister and her husband all went in and took pictures of it.

    And I love your picture! If you really were 45 you would put all other 45 year olds into depression!

    ReplyDelete