Thursday, April 8, 2010

What Newton Learned From The Twinkie That Fell On His Head

Ok, so here goes. Confession time (yes, again). I am not perfect. There. I said it. Ya, I know. No one is surprised. Especially those of you who know me in "real" life. But just to illustrate and to make sure, dear readers, that there is no doubt as to my lack of perfectionness, I share a little story.
Last week was spring break for our kids. We went on a little family vacation and arrived home late on Sunday evening. Mondays are usually busy with trying to get back on track after the weekend, grocery shopping, house cleaning etc. Side note: Why the heck does the house look ten times worse on Monday mornings than any other day of the week? Explain that little entropic phenomenon will ya! This Monday was further complicated by vacation recovery and the fact that I had a large church group outing to oversee the following morning at 5:45 am. Yes. Long story ever so slightly shorter...I forgot to take a promised and expected dinner into a friend who had just had back surgery. Hopefully she is not reading this and if she is, sorry again!
Tuesday left me in the dust before I even knew it had come, so on Wednesday afternoon I settled in the kitchen to do a little overdue baking. A couple "thank you" loaves of bread for some do-gooders in my life, and a beautiful chocolate cake (suggested by my lovely niece here) for Miss M and her aching back! You know what they say about best laid plans, right?
The cake turned out smelling and looking yummy. At first. I managed to slice the cake neatly into two layers but my filling was too runny SO I tried to scrape it off the bottom layer BUT it made a mess all over the plate SO I tried to transfer the cake onto a clean plate BUT it broke into a million pieces SO I just tried to smush them together to LOOK like a layer of cake and THEN spread the new filling on. I plopped the top layer on and went to get the frosting from the fridge. This was not the thick creamy type of frosting that would stay put in a bowl it was more of a whipped light type SO when I opened the fridge the bowl fell to the floor proving Newton's lesser known fourth law of motion which states that frosting dropped from a height of greater than 3 feet will in fact stay in motion until it hits every surface of one's kitchen including the undersides of one desk and every stool and chair.
I do not think that I need to tell you Miss M will be getting a box of Twinkies.
Quote of the Day: ""I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown... which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments."

---Jim Morrison

10 comments:

  1. Awwww CRAP! I bet that just made you so stinkin mad! You will probably find icing for a couple more days. It was nice of you to think of M. I didn't know anything about it until she posted something on Facebook. I need to get busy and see what she needs. I'm sure you will be blessed for your efforts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A cake was not warrented as I totally understood the forgetfullness of one as busy as you. Sorry it gave you such trouble!
    -Miss M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what's up with Monday mornings, but they're always a disaster here, too. Maybe it's because our "day of rest" is usually a day of laziness following a day of craziness, so nothing gets done all weekend long.

    Boo to Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, love that story, it sound exactly like me EVERY time I try to make something in the kitchen. And I LOVE that quote, so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, but I too thought this was funny. I mean you can really only laugh or cry, right? I can't say I have had anything quite like this happen, but it does seem like everytime I try to cook something nice for someone, something bad happens. And the more eager I am to impress, the worse it turns out. At least your friend is understanding.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you had such bad luck with the cake! I'm pretty sure there would have been some curse words coming out of my mouth over the frosting falling and splattering everywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  7. "entropic phenomenon"--that is a perfect way to describe Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha that sounds like when i try to make one of cyries recipes..she makes it sound so easy doesnt she? :) Your funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know other people have these crazy experiences too but it it still feels good to hear about them. Sorry for such a crazy week but thanks for allowing us to laugh along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It so makes us all feel NORMAL to hear that others have kitchen disasters! Thank goodness for twinkies :)

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete