Thursday, May 28, 2015

WriteON!

"So, what do you do?" (Do? Golly. I DO a lot of things!)

"I am a mom and a yoga instructor and a writer."

"A writer? Really? What have you written?"

See, now that is the dreaded question. It says to the writer, "Unless I have heard of your writing, you are not a writer." Well screw you. I am a writer if I want to be one. I write stuff, therefore, I am a writer. No one questions your validity as a talker if you say, "I am a talker." Clearly you are made a talker simply by the act of talking. Why do we feel that we have to have validation of our work to be a writer? Because it is a profession. But that is different. "I am a professional writer" implies something different. That feels like, "I am a doctor." or "I am a lawyer." It feels like we have to have training or some sort of proof of our claim. But that is ridiculous. No one will be hurt by the amateur practice of authoring. It differs from medicine in that respect.

So,  make the declaration. I am a writer. Just BE one and then go on being one even if you have not put pen to paper in days or weeks. Have the mind and heart of a writer. Have the senses of a writer. Observe, daydream, live, try new things, eat new foods, go new places. These are writer things. Read. Read. Read. This is a writer thing. When a doctor is out of the operating room or a minister away from the pulpit he does not cease to be what he is. You are a writer without pen in hand. Writing is sometimes something you do, but it is always something you are. Be it. Be it unashamedly. Declare it today. I am a writer, and let yourself totally be a writer from now on.

Quote of the Day: "I am a writer."

5 comments:

  1. I love it. I'm sharing it with my mom-- also a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nature Girl, you are spot-on. Thanks for this post, which makes me feel better about my writing-- yes, my own blog has languished for months, and yes, I do write--mostly in my journal, which I kind of hope the angels don't quote from in the eternities. You have a new follower--Emily's mom--"I am also a writer!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always glad to meet new folks! Any mom of Emily's is a hero of mine!

      Delete
  3. Yess!! You are a writer. And I have missed you. So great you're back!

    ReplyDelete